[Openvpn-users] OpenVpn 2.0 RC2

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVpn 2.0 RC2
  • From: "Keith Beidelman" <keith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:01:39 -0500

  I have been doing some testing with OpenVPN 2.0 RC1 since last week.  I
am new to OpenVPN.  I started out with 1.6, but quickly realized that the
server enhancements in 2.0 were what I really wanted.

    I am using TAP TCP.

   1) There should be a difference between the subnet specified in the
server statement, and the dynamic IP allocation range.  I wanted to setup a
list of clients which should get static IP addresses, and let the server
allocate one dynamically to anyone not on the list.  Both the static and
dynamic IP's must be in the TAP subnet.  The server sees to want to allocate
IP's over the entire range mentioned in the SERVER subnet, and I need a way
to disallow a small range to be used for static IP's.  I thought the
IFCONFIG-POOL keyword would do this, but I got a message that said it was
not allowed with SERVER.  It appears that the server always allocates IP's
from low numbers to high numbers, so for now, I put my static IP's at the
high end (just before the broadcast address).  I also set a maximum clients
to less that the number of IP's available before a collision.

   I got the client-connect script to work to override the IP allocation in
the special cases where I wanted static IP's.  But, at first, I ran into
some problems with this:

2) It took me the longest time to figure out how to pass the IP back from
the script to the server.  I did a "set > log" in the script, and realized
that there was a strange filename attached to $1.  I also found
documentation on TMP-DIR that gave a hint.  I finally inferred from all of
this that I should write config commands to $1.  I think there were also
hints in the log files.  But, in spite of all the documentation in the man
page about the environment, it never mentioned that you could write a
dynamic config script to $1.  I also think the commands which are accepted
in the script, should be noted.

3) Some of my connections are for OFFICE-OFFICE connections.  I have subnets
to add to the routing table in both directions.  On the server side, I can
use a PUSH ROUTE, this works great.  On the client side, I wanted to add a
ROUTE to the client-connect script, but that is not allowed.  I finally just
set up some static routes in the UP script for everyone, then allocated the
OFFICE-OFFICE connections static IP's.

 4)  The scheme I decided to use for allocating static IP's in the special
cases was to put a DNS name of a host which maps to the static IP in the CN
of the certificate.  The only problem I ran into with this was that a "PUSH
IFCONFIG" keyword does not accept a DNS name, only a numeric IP.  So I had
to write some special glue in the script to fetch the IP for the DNS name.
It seems that the parser for IFCONFIG should accept DNS names just like
REMOTE does.

5) In the WIn32 version it would be nice if you could create your VPN config
files in one folder, than allow a shortcut to the connection in the  Program
Files\OpenVPN\config file.  You may want to setup connections which you
don't want to auto start with the service.  I guess you could also have an
AUTOSTART keyword in the config file instead.   But the point is that you
won't want ALL your connections to AUTO Start.  In practice, what I did was
to put all of my config files in \etc\vpn.  I then copied the ones I wanted
to auto start to OpenVPN\CONFIG.  But a shortcut would be nicer than a copy.

  6) what do you think of adding an option which tells the Win32 to launch a
file browser dialog for picking the config file.  Perhaps you could also do
this if you give the --CONFIG without a filename.  I do this in some of my
WIn32 console applications.  I will attach some source code.  I may also try
to hook it into the code myself.

I am a software engineer, who needed internet connectivity to my clients.
Some of my clients are Unix/Linux based, and others are Windows based.
IPSEC has too many problems with NAT and traversing a firewall.  Microsoft
VPN is unreliable, and does not have enough configuration options to be
flexible enough (for the routing and establishing static IP's for certain
clients).  OpenVPN 2.0 seems to be the perfect answer for my quest to find a
great VPN package for my business.  I also like having access to the source
code,  so I can debug things in the event that something strange happens,
but I have not had to do this yet.

I set up some configuration files,. and sent them to my clients, along with
install instructions.  It went allot smoother than talking someone through
where to find and set the options in the Microsoft GUI.

The overall package works great.

Keith