[Openvpn-users] win32 issue using wireless adapter

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] win32 issue using wireless adapter
  • From: Jason Hildebrand <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:36:00 -0600

Hi everyone,

I have come up against some weird interaction between openvpn and win32.

We're using 2.0 in the new multi-client mode which provides access to the
corporate LAN for mobile users (and it has been working wonderfully).

The issue is with a client computer running Windows XP SP 2.  This is a
laptop with both ethernet and wireless adapters.  When using ethernet,
I can connect to openvpn and get full access to the LAN.  Everything
works as it should.

When using the wireless card, strange things happen:

1. I can connect using openvpn.  The log file shows that the
handshake takes place, and the connection is successfully established.

2. I can ping LAN IPs and get a response.  Name resolution for LAN
computers works too (i.e. ping <machinename> works).  Response time is
normal.

3. When using the "search for a computer" function, I can find a computer by
searching for the name or IP address, but it takes 2 minutes before the
computer is found.  When I then try to connect to a share, the window opens
up, but it is empty.  So something is wrong here.

4. When starting Outlook, it tries to connect to the Exchange server for
several minutes, but fails.

In summary, it appears that I have good TCP connectivity, but I still cannot
get access to file shares, nor can Outlook connect to Exchange.  I know the
configuration, routing and firewall on the server cannot be the issue,
since other client computers have no issues connecting (and this computer
works fine with ethernet).  So I think the problem _must_ lie on the client
computer, possibly some weird quirk in the Win32 network stack.

What can I do to diagnose this?  Are there any useful things that I can
do to get some more information about what might be happening?

thanks,
Jason