[Openvpn-users] Re: openvpn article

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: openvpn article
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:16:48 -0600

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 12:03 -0500, Payal Rathod wrote:
> It said that you wrote custom programs to help ppl. install  openvpn.
> What were those programs? Were they on windows or *nix? Are they
> available on public domain?

For Windows, we built a modified version of My Certificate Wizard (the
parts that are useful to people other than us have already been
contributed back and merged into Vlada's tree; several of our changes[1]
were quite specific to our site) and a custom installer (using the
instructions and packages provided by Mathias Sundman) incorporating it.

For Linux and MacOS X, we built scripts for using the foreign_option_{n}
environment variables to rewrite /etc/resolv.conf (and, in the case of
MacOS, set up routing); these have been posted to the list, I think, but
they're probably a bit suboptimal, and I posted them largely in the
hopes of seeing 3rd-party improvements.

For the server side, we built scripts for OpenVPN 2's server mode
registering new clients in DNS when they connect and deregistering them
when they disconnect; these scripts have quite certainly been posted to
the mailing list.

Finally, we built some scripts for managing a server hosting a bank of
OpenVPN 1.x instances. With the release of OpenVPN 2.x and its server
mode, we don't need that anymore, and it's in the process of being
decomissioned.

[1] - such as prompting for username and hostname rather than CN and
email, and hardcoding in C the process of constructing the latter from
the former.