Re: [Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic
  • From: Eric Hokanson <hokanson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:10:17 -0700

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:52:55 -0500, Leonard Isham
<leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:45:25 -0700, Eric Hokanson <hokanson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have a WinXP box at home running OpenVPN 2.0rc4 which is connect to
> > a high speed university network.  This network blocks all udp packets
> > and most tcp ports.
> >
> > At my work place across town, I have a Linux box also running OpenVPN
> > 2.0rc4.  It is connected directly to the Internet with a high speed
> > connection.
> >
> > I have a tcp tunnel between the two machines with all my home traffic
> > being sent through to my work machine.  This way I was hoping I could
> > play games and stream video, etc.  When the connection isn't stressed
> > it appears to work great and a ping from my home machine to a reliable
> > site produces hundreds of pings with a 0% packet loss.  When I start
> > to send a high volume of packets through, such as an online game or
> > video stream, the first 5 seconds or so work great then I suddenly
> > start to get massive packet loss.  I've tried disabling encryption,
> > authentication, and compression with no change.  I've also tried
> > lowering my sndbuf size to reduce latency with no change.  I see no
> > obvious problems in the log window.  Below is part of my WinXP
> > configuration in case you spot anything abnormal.  Anybody know how to
> > fix this problem?
> >

> OK I'm going to guess that University = home.

Yes, you are correct.

> Many universities have high bandwidth, but extremely high utilization.
>  If this is the case then their Internet connection may be clogged.
>
> Another possibility is that the university is intentionally minimizing
> the available traffic to student housing.  Is this also a time when
> most of your fellow students are home?

This seems to occur at any time of the day and my available bandwidth
would seem to support it.  I went to several web sites to download
large files and would get 200-300 KB/sec no problem.  These games and
video streaming don't use much more than maybe 10 KB/sec.

--
Eric Hokanson
www.allthingsgeek.com