Re: [Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic
  • From: "Martijn Lievaart" <m@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:42:51 +0100 (CET)

Terry Dooher said:
> If not then it could be the adaptive retransmission timeout of the TCP
> connection failing:
>
> Take a look at this page for a description of the issue:
>
> http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html
>
> I should say that I've never seen anyone actually having this issue
> before,
> but it might be the cause. Sadly, the only way around this is to switch to
> UDP, which you can't do.

I have, using ppp over ssh. It definately is a problem you can encounter
and this sounds just like it.

Unfortunately, as Terry noted, there is not much you can do about that, if
this is your problem. Maybe you can use VNC or something like that to use
the tcp connection in a different way and scratch the VPN approach al
together.

Cheers,
Martijn

P.S. You could tunnel your traffic over UDP based DNS, searching for an
implementation on google is left as an exercise for the interested reader
:-)