Re: [Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic
  • From: Terry Dooher <tdooher.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:20:26 +0000

Some kind of throttling on the part of the university is the most likely cause, but here's a couple of other possibilites.

Try adding the following option to both ends of the connection:

mssfix 1200

If this cures it, then it's an MTU discovery problem. You should be able to increase that value back up towards 1500 to find the highest stable point in order to maximise throughput. 1400 should be ok, but 1200 is a good starting point.

If not then it could be the adaptive retransmission timeout of the TCP connection failing:

Take a look at this page for a description of the issue:

http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

I should say that I've never seen anyone actually having this issue before, but it might be the cause. Sadly, the only way around this is to switch to UDP, which you can't do.

Terry.