Re: [Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Heavy packet loss with high traffic
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:52:55 -0500

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:45:25 -0700, Eric Hokanson <hokanson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a WinXP box at home running OpenVPN 2.0rc4 which is connect to
> a high speed university network.  This network blocks all udp packets
> and most tcp ports.
>
> At my work place across town, I have a Linux box also running OpenVPN
> 2.0rc4.  It is connected directly to the Internet with a high speed
> connection.
>
> I have a tcp tunnel between the two machines with all my home traffic
> being sent through to my work machine.  This way I was hoping I could
> play games and stream video, etc.  When the connection isn't stressed
> it appears to work great and a ping from my home machine to a reliable
> site produces hundreds of pings with a 0% packet loss.  When I start
> to send a high volume of packets through, such as an online game or
> video stream, the first 5 seconds or so work great then I suddenly
> start to get massive packet loss.  I've tried disabling encryption,
> authentication, and compression with no change.  I've also tried
> lowering my sndbuf size to reduce latency with no change.  I see no
> obvious problems in the log window.  Below is part of my WinXP
> configuration in case you spot anything abnormal.  Anybody know how to
> fix this problem?

OK I'm going to guess that University = home.

Many universities have high bandwidth, but extremely high utilization.
 If this is the case then their Internet connection may be clogged.

Another possibility is that the university is intentionally minimizing
the available traffic to student housing.  Is this also a time when
most of your fellow students are home?

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.