Re: [Openvpn-users] country dependant routing?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] country dependant routing?
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 05:04:53 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Max Waterman wrote:

> I want to join multiple sites in China and one in the US with VPN
> tunnels, but would like internet traffic to be routed depending on if
> its destination is in China (bypass VPN - straight out the local
> gateway) or elsewhere (via VPN to a gateway in the US).
>
> Is this possible?

It's possible but difficult.

See this page for a map of the public IPv4 address space:

http://www.networkinformation.com/ip/ipindex/

If you wanted to segregate the CN routes from the rest of the world, you
would potentially need to add a large number of routes to the routing
table of each site gateway.

Another method would be to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address and
try to extract locale information from that.

James