[Openvpn-users] Re: Yet Another Routing Issue

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Yet Another Routing Issue
  • From: Nik Trevallyn-Jones <nik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:43:02 +1100

I'm not really an expert, but hopefully I can help.

I'm not clear whether the problem is that you cannot ping ANY Montreal
machine, or just any Montreal machine OTHER than the openVPN endpoint

1. Can you ping 10.1.0.1 from the Toronto machine?
If so, then the VPN is working at least.

If not, then we have a problem.

1.1 Are you sure the traffic from the Toronto endpoint for the tunnel itself
is being routed to the Montreal endpoint's public address 132.216.x.y via
ppp0/eth1, while the traffic for the *remaining* machines on that LAN is
being routed via tun0?

I presume you have a route on the Toronto machine specifically for the
Montreal endpoint's address that will take precedence over the route for the
132.216.0.0/16 network?

2. if you can ping the Montreal endpoint as 10.1.0.1, but NOT as 132.216.x.y,
then that could be caused by issues at either end. The most likely culprit is
firewalling, at either or both ends, since the Toronto endpoint is already
configured for routing and forwarding packets, and the Montreal machine
should need no routing rules to recognise its own 132.216.x.y address.

3. If your problem is that you can ping the Montreal endpoint, but cannot
access any of the other machines on the Montreal 132.216.0.0 LAN, then that
could be caused by firewalling on the Montreal endpoint stopping traffic
between 192.168.0.0 <-> 132.216.0.0, or it may be a problem routing packets
between VPN <-> 132.216.0.0 LAN.

3.1 If the Montreal endpoint has not previously been used for routing, but is
now being used to route the VPN traffic to the Montreal LAN, be sure that
packet forwarding is enabled in the kernel. On newer linuxes, something like:

"cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" should return "1".

If not, you can enable it immediately by echoing 1 into the same file.
(presuming you have the /proc filesystem enabled.)

For a permanent change, either use a configuration tool to enable ip
forwarding, or edit the network config file manually. On my RedHat box, the
file is in:

/etc/sysconfig/network, and includes the line: FORWARD_IPV4="yes".

Your OS may differ...

3.2 If the NON-endpoint machines on the Montreal LAN do not use the Montreal
endpoint as a gateway, then they will need a routing path to correctly route
the 192.168.0.0 traffic via the Montreal endpoint machine.

How this is done depends on how you currently route traffic, but I presume it
is more easily done by the LAN router rather than on the individual machines
on the LAN.

HTH,
Cheers!
Nik