[Openvpn-users] Yet Another Routing Issue?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Yet Another Routing Issue?
  • From: "Chris Poupart" <chris.poupart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:42:44 -0500

Hi folks,

I would greatly appreciate a hand with this.  I am currently in Toronto setting up a remote office and ideally this OpenVPN configuration will be working before I return to Montreal tomorrow afternoon.  The setup is pretty simple:

[Toronto lan] <--> Internet <--> [Montreal lan]

The Toronto LAN is controled by a Debian Sarge gateway that is doing NAT for lan clients on eth0, and connects to the Internet on eth1 (with a dynamic IP), the Montreal LAN is a bit unusual in that all of the IP addresses on the LAN are public addresses, and the computer that is acting as the VPN endpoint is not a gateway.

So, currently, I have this:

Toronto:

LAN: 192.168.1.0/24
Tun0: 10.1.0.2
Internet IP: Dynamic

Montreal:

LAN: 132.216.0.0/16
Tun0: 10.1.0.1
IP: 132.216.xxx.xxx/16

The tunnel is connected together with a shared key.

I am able to make the connection, and from Montreal ping 10.1.0.2, 192.168.1.1 and even other computers on the network (this is with the firewall down, just to make sure that it is not the problem). However, I can not do the reverse: Ping from Toronto to Montreal.

My routing table for the Toronto server is basic:

* 192.168.1.0/24 is routed through eth0
* 132.216.0.0/16 is routed through tun0
* default route is through ppp0 (the dsl connection)

Unfortunately, I can not browse any of the computers that are on the Montreal network, I can not ping them, nothing.  This is being done from the gateway/openvpn machine with the firewall down.

I am pretty sure that I am missing something obvious here.  With more time and more sleep I would probably be able to figure it out.  As it is, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-- Chris