Re: [Openvpn-users] How many vpns can a cpu handle?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] How many vpns can a cpu handle?
  • From: Kristof Hardy <kristof.hardy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:08:11 +0100

osgaldo wrote:
Does someone of you know what is the maximum number of vpn tunnels a Cpu (1Ghz-3Ghz) can handle using OpenVpn?
Just curiosity, I will need to use a Sever in the next days with 10 Vpn tunnels would like to know if this old PIII 1GHZ Box can
handle it , and if it can handel more than 10...?

As Leonard says, it all depends on some other factors.

However, I'm successfully running about 15 OpenVPN (1.6) instances (together with shorewall) on a Pentium II, 333Mhz with 64 Mb ram. Not what you'd call a blazingly fast machine, but it does the trick.

The OpenVPN instances are not all active, about 5 are site-to-site VPNs so they are "active" continously. The traffic going over them is mostly ssh and www and sometimes copying files to a remote samba. (not that much, but the important thing here is, they stay up)

Good luck..