Re: [Openvpn-users] How many vpns can a cpu handle?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] How many vpns can a cpu handle?
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:46:53 -0500

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:43:47 +0100, osgaldo <osgaldo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does someone of you know what is the maximum number of vpn tunnels a Cpu
> (1Ghz-3Ghz) can handle using OpenVpn?
>
>     Just curiosity, I will need to use a Sever in the next days with 10
> Vpn tunnels would like to know if this old PIII 1GHZ Box can
> handle it , and if it can handel more than 10...?

I Can't answer the question, but if you want to provide additional
information you may be able to get a realistic idea form some one
else.

What OS?

What is the connection speed that may act as a "natural" governor
preventing the VPNs from overloading one server?

What are the traffic patterns like all 10 heavy users 9-5 local time
or are they spread through the day randomly?

Are there any spikes in the traffic?

What type of traffic? light (telnet), heavy (MS Access or large data
files), mixed?

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.