Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN 2.0-rc3 released

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN 2.0-rc3 released
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:43:27 -0500

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:48:56 +0100, Van Hoorenbeeck, Peter
(RST/Hammerstone EMEA) <peter.van-hoorenbeeck@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> So we have the management console; which is a great feature if you have
> connectivity on the client side.  Imagine the following (simplified)
> scenario:
>
> SITE A: openvpn 2 client
> SITE B: openvpn 2 server
>
> SITE A --------ISDN--------- SITE B
>       \_______OpenVPN_______/
>
> Now I want to have the OpenVPN tunnel up only if we have "interesting
> traffic" that wants to traverse the VPN tunnel and shut down if there is
> no traffic.  So it is client initiated - obviously - and the reason is
> to have a low ISDN cost - obviously.
>
> Now am I missing one of the existing features that would possibly solve
> my problem, or has this not been implemented yet (and would you
> implement this in future releases?)?
>
> I was thinking about using squid to open the tunnel: write a small
> helper script that does a telnet session to the management interface,
> authenticates and performs the command to bring it up.  Problem is that
> it is hard to know when the tunnel can be shut down afterwards; I cannot
> check logfiles as we use the software on a diskless system and not all
> traffic has to pass the squid anyway, so the best way to get this
> working is to ask you :)
>
> Again... and I will keep on saying it... OpenVPN is the best!

Assuming that you are using UDP and thatthere is no traffic sent over
the VPN OpenVPN is not sending any traffic.

I would say that you would want the ISDN to handle the disconnect not OpenVPN.

Or am I missing something?

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.