RE: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN 2.0-rc3 released

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN 2.0-rc3 released
  • From: "Van Hoorenbeeck, Peter (RST/Hammerstone EMEA)" <peter.van-hoorenbeeck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:48:56 +0100

Hi James,

So we have the management console; which is a great feature if you have
connectivity on the client side.  Imagine the following (simplified)
scenario:

SITE A: openvpn 2 client
SITE B: openvpn 2 server

SITE A --------ISDN--------- SITE B
      \_______OpenVPN_______/

Now I want to have the OpenVPN tunnel up only if we have "interesting
traffic" that wants to traverse the VPN tunnel and shut down if there is
no traffic.  So it is client initiated - obviously - and the reason is
to have a low ISDN cost - obviously.

Now am I missing one of the existing features that would possibly solve
my problem, or has this not been implemented yet (and would you
implement this in future releases?)?

I was thinking about using squid to open the tunnel: write a small
helper script that does a telnet session to the management interface,
authenticates and performs the command to bring it up.  Problem is that
it is hard to know when the tunnel can be shut down afterwards; I cannot
check logfiles as we use the software on a diskless system and not all
traffic has to pass the squid anyway, so the best way to get this
working is to ask you :)

Again... and I will keep on saying it... OpenVPN is the best!

Best regards,

Peter Van Hoorenbeeck
RST - Competency Center Engineer