RE: [Openvpn-users] Re: Can certificates be used in routed mode?

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] Re: Can certificates be used in routed mode?
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:53:09 -0600

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 21:40 -0500, Tibbs, Richard wrote:
> In all this time I have been using static key, and have never loaded the
> openssl libraries.

They're presumably already installed by your distribution. OpenVPN
always uses OpenSSL to do the underlying crypto, even in static key
mode.

Oh -- or are you using Windows? There, the OpenSSL libraries are
included in the distributed OpenVPN package (either statically compiled
in or as a separate DLL; I don't recall which).

> Looking at the openvpn howto, all the certificate commands are openssl,
> so I will have to install it..

Right, you'll need the command line OpenSSL tool; this is separate from
the library.

> what version of openssl would be best?

The one your OS vendor has packaged. A responsible OS vendor typically
include patches for any known vulnerabilities, so even if they include
an older version it'll still work fine.

Or, if you're using Windows, they /won't/ have one packaged. Perhaps you
could install cygwin?