[Openvpn-users] Re: Can certificates be used in routed mode?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Can certificates be used in routed mode?
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:27:04 -0600

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:15:55 -0500, Tibbs, Richard wrote:

> I wish to transition from static key to certificates, and I am wondering
> if this is possible in routing mode. Or will I have to transition to
> client/server mode?

You can use either routed or bridged mode in either peer-to-peer or
client/server mode; the two are completely unrelated.

Certificates can be used in either peer-to-peer or client/server mode,
whereas static keys can only be used in peer-to-peer mode.

So, yes, you can move from static keys to certificates while still using
peer-to-peer mode, and this will leave your decision to use routed (as
opposed to bridged) mode completely unaffected.