[Openvpn-users] Re: Re: Mandrake 10.1

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Re: Mandrake 10.1
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:39:00 -0600

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:03:31 -0500, Doug Lytle wrote:

> The script isn't the issue.  Under Mandrake 10.1 they seem to have
> changed the /dev/net/tun from being a normal file to a symlink.  If I do
> a ls -l on /dev/net it shows the tun there but it's referenced as ../tun
> instead of /dev/net/tun.  I'm not sure, but think this is whats causing
> my problems.

As long as following the symlink leads to the correct device (major
number 10, minor number 200 unless /proc/misc says different), it's not
the issue. (Just curious -- is the tun module dynamically loaded? Might be
a Good Thing to make sure it's in there permanently).

> Deleting the symlink and recreating it, rebooting and looking at it
> again, it's back the way it was.  Around 50% of the time that I reboot,
> the tunnel will come up, and ALWAYS if I run it manually.

Does this version of Mandrake use devfs? Not that it would be causing this
issue, but it would certainly explain why /dev's contents are reverting.

The interesting thing here is that it works 100% of the time manually.
That means there _must_ be some relevant difference between the script's
invocation and your own (even if it's something as simple as delays
between commands). Hence, playing with the script is certainly worthwhile.

> The error that OpenVPN is throwing is that it can't find /dev/net/tun.

First, make sure the tun module is loaded ahead of time.

Second, have the script start OpenVPN via strace, and watch what happens
when it tries to open /dev/net/tun. Are you getting EACCES? ENOENT?
ENODEV? ENXIO?