Re: [Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI v ersion

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI v ersion
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:24:07 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Ewan Bhamrah Harley wrote:

Mathias Sundman wrote:
Have you accually tried it yet? After IE has found out what proxy server to use, I'd expect it to return that server via the InternetQueryOption() function.

The InternetQueryOption call only picks up manually configured proxies - it will pick up different manual settings (eg if you have different settings for a Lan or a dialup link) but doesn't work with WPAD. Sorry, should have pointed this out to you when I contributed the original code.

InternetQueryOption doesn't take any sort of URL as an argument which would be needed to parse the WPAD data to find out if a direct connection should be made or which proxy to use. There may be an alternative call that supports WPAD, but I'm not really a windows programer so don't know.

Yes, you were both right. I've read up on the InternetQueryOption call, and just as you say, it's only working with manual proxy settings.

InternetQueryOption() is part of the WinINet API. WinINet has limited support for autoproxy. As far as I can tell this is not WPAD. However there is another API, Windows HTTP Services (WinHTTP) that works with WPAD. After a brief look in MSDN, I think the WinHttpGetProxyForUrl() call could be used to retrieve the proxy server if WPAD is used.

However, as I've never used a proxy myself, and none of my customers does either, I'm unlikly to implement this if there is not a big interest for this from the community. I'd happily accept a patch though.

I'll update the documentation to make it clear that only manual proxy settings can be retrieved from IE.