Re: [Openvpn-users] Bug in status.c when building with VC

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Bug in status.c when building with VC
  • From: Blaine Fleming <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:13:52 -0700

> However, the MINGW build still performs very low.  Even the binaries you
> provide in the installer run less than 500Kbps.  Is it just me?  All tests
> are performed between 2 windows boxes.

There must be something else going on here because such a huge performance
difference cannot be explained by mere differences in optimization.

Exactly. This is the main reason why I started building it with VC somewhere around 2.0 Beta7. That, and the MINGW OpenSSL binaries were pretty bloated in the previous OpenSSL version.

When you are running the MinGW build, what's the CPU utilization?

It typically floats around 5% for OpenVPN with an idle tunnel. If I run something like iperf, my cpu hits 100% and becomes unresponsive. Raising the process priority to above normal has improved performance and cut back on the hit to the system, but it still isn't great.

Are you using a TCP or UDP tunnel?  I did all of my tests with a UDP
tunnel?

UDP is what I have set as TCP proves to be much slower in real-world performance. However, with 1.6 TCP was the only way I could get a stable tunnel.

Vararg macros are so extremely useful and efficient for getting debugging
messages into the code -- What is the VC-way of thinking about this, i.e.
how do you do debugging output in such a way that the debugging printf
statement's arguments are not evaluated unless debugging output is
enabled?

The statements from MS are that they will only add features such as macros with varargs if enough of their customer base (big companies) ask for the feature. As for the debugging part, they advise people to use "__noop" in VC7 because it "offers comparable functionality". I believe the equivalent in VC6 is "0&&".

--Blaine Fleming