Re: [Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI version

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI version
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:20:16 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Jason Haar wrote:

James Yonan wrote:

I took a look at the expired internet draft for WPAD. My first thought is that a VPN is going to have extra requirements than a browser in terms of using WPAD as a dynamic reconfiguration tool. OpenVPN may or may not use a proxy. It may want to use UDP or TCP depending on where it is connecting from. In some cases it may want to disable itself completely if the host machine is plugged into the corporate LAN.

Now on the other hand if you only want to add WPAD support to OpenVPN's
existing proxy capability, it shouldn't be very difficult.

The reason I brought it up was that some of our Windows products got burnt by us claiming "use IE's proxy settings" - when all we were actually doing was looking up Registry keys for a hostname and port number. Some companies (ourselves included) use WPAD to set the proxy settings, and such a simplistic approach fails. And the end user is left wondering "IE works for me, I told Product-X to use IE settings, and it doesn't work. Huh?!?!?!"

So I'm not really going on about OpenVPN - it's more the statement "use IEs proxy settings". Perhaps the Windows client could remove that option, and instead pre-fill the manual proxy settings with what it finds in the Registry. That way it looks like it "magically" figured out the proxy server, and if it's wrong/empty, the user can override it.

I don't fully agree with you. OpenVPN GUI IS using the settings that has been done in IE, it's just not using IE for the accual connection.

And, the settings it not read directly from the registry, they are retrieved wia the InternetQueryOption() function for this very reason, that the registry is not immediatly updated to reflect chages to the proxy settings done in IE, until IE is closed.

Have you accually tried it yet? After IE has found out what proxy server to use, I'd expect it to return that server via the InternetQueryOption() function. If this is not the case, then I agree it's missleading, but I still think it's a useful feature for those how manually reconfigure their IE proxy settings for diffrent locations.

I personally never use a proxy, so I would like to get some more feedback from users how accually use this, whether you want this feature removed or not.

If WPAD really isn't working then I'll of cource update the ducumentation to say that only manual proxy configuration from IE works.