Re: [Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI version

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI version
  • From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:23:54 +1300

James Yonan wrote:

I took a look at the expired internet draft for WPAD. My first thought is that a VPN is going to have extra requirements than a browser in terms of using WPAD as a dynamic reconfiguration tool. OpenVPN may or may not use a proxy. It may want to use UDP or TCP depending on where it is connecting from. In some cases it may want to disable itself completely if the host machine is plugged into the corporate LAN.

Now on the other hand if you only want to add WPAD support to OpenVPN's
existing proxy capability, it shouldn't be very difficult.

The reason I brought it up was that some of our Windows products got burnt by us claiming "use IE's proxy settings" - when all we were actually doing was looking up Registry keys for a hostname and port number. Some companies (ourselves included) use WPAD to set the proxy settings, and such a simplistic approach fails. And the end user is left wondering "IE works for me, I told Product-X to use IE settings, and it doesn't work. Huh?!?!?!"

So I'm not really going on about OpenVPN - it's more the statement "use IEs proxy settings". Perhaps the Windows client could remove that option, and instead pre-fill the manual proxy settings with what it finds in the Registry. That way it looks like it "magically" figured out the proxy server, and if it's wrong/empty, the user can override it.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417