Re: [Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI version

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI version
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:24:35 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Jason Haar wrote:

Hi there

I haven't even given it a go yet, but I see from the OpenVPN Windows client screenshots that it allows you to proxy via IE's current proxy settings.

Does that mean it calls the Microsoft "HTTP libraries" (I don't know the proper term) - which basically means IE libraries "do" the HTTP calls instead of the application? It's just that if you are on a network (like ours) that uses "Automatic proxy detection" via WPAD - your IE settings actually refer to a JavaScript applet that IE runs each time it makes a HTTP call.

[It's just that we've had problems in the past with apps that claim "use IE settings" when all they actually did was read the Registry looking for the name and port number of IE's proxy server. Using WPAD, those keys don't exist - and yet a proxy server still has to be used.]

OpenVPN GUI uses the InternetQueryOption() function to retrieve the IE proxy settings. However after the proxy hostname and port have been determined, OpenVPN GUI only passes this information to OpenVPN which opens a normal TCP session with the proxy server.

Is it not possible to configure your proxy application to listen to local TCP port, which you can tell OpenVPN to use?