Re: [Openvpn-users] How to tell if openvpn is really authenticated/encrypting on tunnel?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] How to tell if openvpn is really authenticated/encrypting on tunnel?
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 03:00:19 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Jon Bendtsen wrote:

> Den 9. dec 2004, kl. 2:13, skrev Tibbs, Richard:
>

> > Dear list.
> > I am wondering if there is a foolproof way to tell whether openvpn has
> > succeeded in a tunnel connection.
> > Are there any particular entries in the log files that I should be
> > seeing?
> > This is between 2.0beta15 and 1.6.
>
> can they talk to each other?
> I use the 2.0 series and my log says:
> Thu Dec  9 10:16:56 2004 [aragorn_remotevpn] Peer Connection Initiated
> with openvpn.example.net:80

Run with --verb 5, and generate traffic across the tunnel (such as a
ping).

If the tunnel is functioning you will see 'R', 'W', 'r', and 'w'
chars.  If the tunnel is truly functioning, you will see all 4 character
types.  If you see only a subset of the characters, then there's probably
a problem.

R/W denotes packet read/write, uppercase is used for TCP/UDP packets and
lowercase is used for TUN/TAP packets.

James