Re: [Openvpn-users] Bug in status.c when building with VC

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Bug in status.c when building with VC
  • From: Blaine Fleming <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:11:52 -0700

The MinGW numbers seem lower than I would expect, given the No VPN stats.

It might be instructive to try the test with --cipher none --auth none to
factor out crypto overhead.

I just ran the same tests with these settings and the numbers only varied by about +/- 20K.

I'm also surprised that gcc and the MS compilers would show such large
differences.  I would have thought that the bottlnecks would be low level
crypto and the context switching to and from the TAP-Win32 driver.

I know that a lot of work went into mingw to make the gcc environment work on the win32 platform. A quick google for compiler benchmarks shows that overall, MSVC and ICL outperform MINGW on the windows platform. Perhaps it is nothing more than a compiler flag missing?!? I do know that for a while I was running the MINGW version for several windows to windows tunnels and had noticeable cpu usage. When I switched all the tunnels to the MSVC or ICL builds, the cpu usage dropped greatly.

I have posted my builds of Beta20 to http://www.digital-z.net/openvpn and encourage others to download them and run a few tests. Maybe it is just my environment.

--Blaine Fleming