Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: advice

Charles Duffy wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:50:18 +0800, Max Waterman wrote:

So, the way I see it, we could buy just one routable address which will
be our vpn server, and have all the other sites as vpn clients with
non-routable addresses.

Will this work?

Yes.

Disadvantages seem to be :

0) seems to require significant technical expertise to install and set
up

Not as much as most of the competing alternatives, in my experience.

1) somewhat reliant on the momentum of the developers - however, since
it is open source, we could always pay someone to do further bug fixes
etc

James has proven to be an excellent maintainer, and I understand that he
is available for contract work. I'd strongly consider hiring him in the
event that you need any such custom work done.

Could someone comment on the proposed single-server/multiple-client
architecture?

The good news is that it'll work.

The bad news is that the server with the routable IP is an extra hop
between any of your sites.

I don't anticipate this being a problem. The network will only be used for routing email, and perhaps access to some central servers (eg email, smb) - the main traffic is likely to be http through the central internet gateway. I suppose I could use some automatic proxy rules to route local Chinese traffic via local site gateways, and US traffic via a gateway located in the US.

That last bit sounds a bit complicated.

If you have a single site hosting your company
servers, having the routable IP be there would mean you could avoid the
efficiency penalty of bouncing out to a separate system.

Right. That was the intension, though it is all very conceptual at this stage.

The idea of contracting this James person is starting to grow on me. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks.

Max.