[Openvpn-users] Re: advice

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: advice
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:16:09 -0600

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:50:18 +0800, Max Waterman wrote:

> So, the way I see it, we could buy just one routable address which will
> be our vpn server, and have all the other sites as vpn clients with
> non-routable addresses.
>
> Will this work?

Yes.

> Disadvantages seem to be :
>
> 0) seems to require significant technical expertise to install and set
> up

Not as much as most of the competing alternatives, in my experience.

> 1) somewhat reliant on the momentum of the developers - however, since
> it is open source, we could always pay someone to do further bug fixes
> etc

James has proven to be an excellent maintainer, and I understand that he
is available for contract work. I'd strongly consider hiring him in the
event that you need any such custom work done.

> Could someone comment on the proposed single-server/multiple-client
> architecture?

The good news is that it'll work.

The bad news is that the server with the routable IP is an extra hop
between any of your sites. If you have a single site hosting your company
servers, having the routable IP be there would mean you could avoid the
efficiency penalty of bouncing out to a separate system.