[Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI version

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Question about proxy support in Windows GUI version
  • From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:06:44 +1300

Hi there

I haven't even given it a go yet, but I see from the OpenVPN Windows client screenshots that it allows you to proxy via IE's current proxy settings.

Does that mean it calls the Microsoft "HTTP libraries" (I don't know the proper term) - which basically means IE libraries "do" the HTTP calls instead of the application? It's just that if you are on a network (like ours) that uses "Automatic proxy detection" via WPAD - your IE settings actually refer to a JavaScript applet that IE runs each time it makes a HTTP call.

[It's just that we've had problems in the past with apps that claim "use IE settings" when all they actually did was read the Registry looking for the name and port number of IE's proxy server. Using WPAD, those keys don't exist - and yet a proxy server still has to be used.]

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417