RE: [Openvpn-users] How to assign private IP from protected LAN

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] How to assign private IP from protected LAN
  • From: "Dick St.Peters" <stpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:53:36 -0500

satinders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> 	What happens to routing table entries at openvpn server end? I am
> running openvpn in tls-server mode on linux machines and protected LAN has
> mixture of machines - Linux and Windows. I have seen that openvpn adds entry
> to routing table which makes the subnet 192.168.0.0./24 to go through tun
> interface and thus ping from client to protected lan does not work. What I
> can figure out is that either I need to add individual entries for each
> client in routing table at server side OR I need to divide the LAN into 2
> subnets - one for clients and one for protected LAN.

OpenVPN itself doesn't add routes, unless this is something new in
recent versions.  I wouldn't let OpenVPN fiddle my routing anyway.
Routes are normally handled in an up-script.  This gives you complete
control over what gets added (or removed).

When a client connects to my server, the up-script for that client
adds a route to the client.  For some clients, it also adds a route to
a subnet via the client.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx