Re: [Openvpn-users] New problem with openvpn (formerly up-script problem).

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] New problem with openvpn (formerly up-script problem).
  • From: Jean-Pierre Schwickerath <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:31:00 +0100

> Well, someone from leaf-user list said that the tun0 is removed
> because the script fails.  So, the attempts openvpn 1.6 makes are
> apparently failing, viz. daemon.log:
> > Dec  4 21:55:38 firewall openvpn[9273]: TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
> > Dec  4 21:55:38 firewall openvpn[9273]: ip link set dev tun0 up mtu
> 1500
> > Dec  4 21:55:39 firewall openvpn[9273]: ip addr add dev tun0 local
> > 10.1.1.1 peer 10.1.1.2
>
> So, I was trying to see if could set a tunnel manually, then try out
> all my script commands to see if they work.

Right. That's a good idea.
How far do you get? Can you run openvpn on your config file when you
leave the up-command out?

> How can a set up a tunnel from the command line?

Well, you need to run openvpn with enough arguments (or config file) to
build a tunnel.

> dev tun
> # For compatability with 2.x openvpn clients/servers
> tun-mtu 1500
> tun-mtu-extra 32
> mssfix 1450
> # When using TLS-security (tls-server) uncomment this for 2.x
> #key-method 2
>
> local 216.x.y.x # anonymized...
> # Our remote peer (office subnet)
> #remote 137.p.q.r
> # Remote peer (wireless internal w/o RU vpn)
> remote 192.168.1.3
>
> # 10.1.1.1 is our local VPN endpoint
> # 10.1.1.2 is our remote VPN endpoint (home wlan)
> ifconfig 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2
> up /etc/openvpn/openvpn.up

Remove the last line and then add your keys and fire the whole thing up.
Then connect from your client and the whole thing should run. Without
any additional commands.

Jean-Pierre