[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN software quality

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN software quality
  • From: stefano@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:01:26 +0100

Hi Mr Yonan,
   first of all I would like to let you know that I really love your
VPN product, that I follow since about one year. Great work!!!

I have a simple question: since the time when I descovered your great
software I was asking myself how much secure it was. Some search on the
Net revealed zero security advisories related to OpenVPN. This seemed a
bit strange to me! First I thought that the program was not widely used,
so perhaps it would not have been properly exercised. Later I realized
that actually OpenVPN exists since 2002 and it seems it is becoming more
and more popular around the world...
Needless to say that a large and complex (and growing) program has
growing probability of containing defects, but it seems that this is not
true for OpenVPN! We know that even large company products have been
subject to some sort of security bug, which is a natural thing if we
consider the design complexity involved in products that deal with
security issues.

So what I would like to know is: what kind of measueres do you take in
order to have such a great result? Do you rely on testing? If so, which
type? Perhaps do you apply some sort of formal methods in order to
verify program correctness?

Thank you again for your quality work!

Stefano