Re: [Openvpn-users] Routing Through OpenVPN Server on Windows XP to Subtending Workgroup

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Routing Through OpenVPN Server on Windows XP to Subtending Workgroup
  • From: Piergiorgio Spagnolatti <piergiorgio.spagnolatti@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:13:14 +0100

Ross MacGillivray wrote:

I have OpenVPN 2.0 installed on Windows XP, and I have two clients connecting onto a common OpenVPN server on
UDP Port 1194 using the supported PKI capabilities of OpenVPN 2.0.
From the clients, I can ping all the interfaces on the VPN server, both the physical interfaces and the TUN device, and
from the server I can ping the TUN device on the clients.
However, I cannot pass a ping from the VPN clients through the Windows XP VPN server to a workgroup on the opposite side of the server from the VPN Client access (opposite side of the VPN server from the TUN device).
I have the router enabled on Windows XP, and I can ping devices on the workgroup from the VPN Server machine itself
Why am I not able to 'ping through' the VPN server from the VPN client side to the workgroup on the other side of the VPN Server? I am also unable to PING from the Workgroup to the VPN clients?
Do I have to enable 'proxy ARP' on Windows XP?
Do I have to explicitly enable specific routing protocols on the Windows XP router?
Do I have to add routes manually? (If so, which ones? Ping does work from the VPN server to the workgroup, and ping does
work from the VPN server to the VPN clients)
What am I missing?
/Ross

Hi Ross,

I got into this while trying to use a openvpn client as a router for a local subnet. The solution was enabling ip forwarding
in windows xp. "routing and remote access" service didn't solve the problem. So, in order to activate it, launch regedit and

*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

set IPEnableRouter to 1

* Reboot your box and you're done (at least I hope so ;-) ).

Bye,
Draxx