Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 02:13:17 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, James Yonan wrote:

Instead I'd like to show a couple of informative messages about the
connecting process based on the STATE like:

* Waiting for initial respone from server.
* Authenticating with server.
* Downloading configuration from server.
* Assigning IP address to virtual network interface.
* Adding routes to system.
* Connected

The number of states should be enough for a user to make a basic
assumption on why a connection fails without browsing a log. If he still
can't find the cause just by seeing on which STATE it fails, he will
of cource have to open the real log to get details.

The problem is that if an error occurs in a state, it doesn't necessarily mean that OpenVPN will remain in that state. For example routes could fail to be added, and because such a failure is considered by OpenVPN to be non-fatal, it would advance to the Connected (with errors) state.

Yes, but that's the same behaviour as I have in the GUI today. As long as OpenVPN reaches the state where it prints "Initialization Sequence Completed" I consider the connection successful.

I think we either need to make route addition failures optionally fatal, or will need to live with this fact, and just use the second parameter of the STATE cmd output to indicate that some errors has occured during the connection even though we have reached CONNECTED state.

I can the inform the user that the connection has been established but some error has occured, and ask him to browse the real log to determine what has failed.