Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Re: 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Re: 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 01:35:28 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Charles Duffy wrote:

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 01:06 +0100, Mathias Sundman wrote:

Didier Conchaudron has written a patch for the service wrapper which
gives a similar management interface with which you can start and stop
openvpn tunnels as a non-admin user.

I've started playing with a pre-release of this for my OpenVPN GUI 2.0
release, but it should be failry close to release by now.

Do you still feel a need for a "hibernating" state?

No, that should be quite good enough IMHO.

The first time I considered it, I decided that using a separate process to
enable/disable the service was a poor decision on grounds of interface
consistency (thinking as a *nix user, there are a number of different ways
to supervise processes and grant privileges wrt starting/stopping them,
and such conventions vary by site, so guaranteeing that an user could
start/stop the service via a consistent interface would require some
functionality built into OpenVPN itself). You make an excellent point,
however, that OpenVPN on Windows already uses a consistent service wrapper
everywhere -- and folks on *nix and friends are more than capable of
fending for ourselves.

Yes, as windows is the only platform that currently miss the tools neccessary for running openvpn as a non admin user I think the service wrapper is the way to go.

If this would have been a problem on other platforms as well I would probably have prefered handling it an other way.