[Openvpn-users] Re: Re: 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Re: 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:32:31 -0600

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 01:06 +0100, Mathias Sundman wrote:

> Didier Conchaudron has written a patch for the service wrapper which
> gives a similar management interface with which you can start and stop
> openvpn tunnels as a non-admin user.
>
> I've started playing with a pre-release of this for my OpenVPN GUI 2.0
> release, but it should be failry close to release by now.
>
> Do you still feel a need for a "hibernating" state?

No, that should be quite good enough IMHO.

The first time I considered it, I decided that using a separate process to
enable/disable the service was a poor decision on grounds of interface
consistency (thinking as a *nix user, there are a number of different ways
to supervise processes and grant privileges wrt starting/stopping them,
and such conventions vary by site, so guaranteeing that an user could
start/stop the service via a consistent interface would require some
functionality built into OpenVPN itself). You make an excellent point,
however, that OpenVPN on Windows already uses a consistent service wrapper
everywhere -- and folks on *nix and friends are more than capable of
fending for ourselves.