Re: [Openvpn-users] 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 17:12:15 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Claas Hilbrecht wrote:

> --Am Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2004 14:42 -0700 James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
>
> > (3) the management interface is very new, and I want to make sure that it
> > has all the features that GUI apps will need.  If there anything missing
> > or wrongly conceptualized in the management interface, I would rather fix
> > it before 2.0 than make GUIs kludge around it.
>
> As requested previously I would like to see a pause/continue command to
> allow a tunnel to set "on hold". What is very important is that even
> openvpn internal traffic should be set to hold.

The problem is that if you pause a tunnel, the other side of the
connection will time out if it is using --ping-restart or --keepalive.  So
when the tunnel is restarted, the other side of the connection may no
longer be there.

It might be possible to do this using a "restart and hold" action, where
OpenVPN does a SIGUSR1-style shutdown, but then delays the restart until a
command is received from the management interface.

James