Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Stability problem with win32 please help

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: Stability problem with win32 please help
  • From: Steve Kieu <haiquy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:56:51 +1100 (EST)

Hi, thank you for your reply

 --- Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Would you mind posting your full config file?

Here is my server config file. The client is very
simple, if you need I will post it then...

port 5000
proto udp
dev tap
server 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
ca "c:\\openvpn\\demoCA\\cacert.pem"
cert "c:\\openvpn\\keys\\server.crt"
key "c:\\openvpn\\keys\\server.key"
dh "c:\\openvpn\\keys\\dh1024.pem"
push "route-gateway 192.168.0.1"
push "route 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0"
client-config-dir c:\\openvpn\\ccd
client-to-client
# keepalive 10 60
tls-auth "c:\\openvpn\\keys\\ta.key" 0
comp-lzo
max-clients 12
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-status.log
verb 4
ping-restart 60

> Are there any interesting-looking messages when the
> server is in its hung
> state if you use a high verbosity level? (For that
> matter, do the server's

I have not caught the message as I ran it as a service
in window XP pro. and the computer is not mine then I
dont have full time access to it.

I did rather extensive testing using two boxes. One
runs window 2000, as server, one a linux box as
client.  Two clients on the same linux box with
different vpn IP address. Both are connected using
NIC. and I got the following findings.

1. If I using keepalive 10 60 in the server. when
client disconnect I got the message udpv4 read error
on the server and wait for 60 seconds, it restart
itself which is fine. But sometime (say 5% of the
case) it doesn't restart itself, and not allowing new
connection.
2. If I use ping-restart 60 and remove option
keepalive it seems restart every 60 second if I dont
ping the tunnel using command ping (which is expected)
and I got no 'hang' case so far.
3. Cz I dont like the server auto restart every 60
second when no trafic then put an extra option (which
is suppose to do exactly like keepalive 10 60)
ping 10
ping-restart 60
Now this time I got a ramdom hang like before.
4. Sometime when I start the server (right click and
start OpenVPN ...) it reaches the mesage wait 10
second for the tap devices to come up and hang there
for ever , ofcourse no client can connect to it. If I
focus on the window and hit enter key, it wakes up and
finish the process (Initilization Sequence Completed)
and thins come back to normal.

Hope that my information is useful. The linux version
doesn't have any problem and very stable.

cheers,

=====
S.KIEU

http://au.movies.yahoo.com