[Openvpn-users] Re: 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:15:54 -0600

One management-interface capability that seems useful that I don't see
covered in the documentation is the ability to have OpenVPN support a
"hibernating" state (in which no actual VPN connections are made or
accepted), optionally invoked on startup and set/reset via the management
interface.

That way an OpenVPN client could be run on boot in hibernating state as an
administrative user, and an unprivileged user could toggle its actual
operation on and off. To my knowledge the nearest alternative right now is
starting on boot with a password-associated key (or auth-user-pass) and
management-query-passwords set, and using the management interface to
provide the passwords (starting it up) or trigger a SIGHUP to interrupt
service. This doesn't seem quite satisfactory.

Otherwise, it looks good -- though it's hard to say anything for sure
until I've played with it more (my side project based on the management
interface went on hiatus due to a large project at work getting a
near-future deadline assigned; consequently, it may be a week or so until
I've had time to finish exercising the whole thing programmatically).