[Openvpn-users] 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] 2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:42:54 -0700 (MST)

I'd like to move toward a 2.0 feature freeze after beta19 is released.

Right now the wish list is fairly small, and I'm thinking that unless
there are strongly convincing arguments to hold up 2.0 in order to include
them, that they should be delayed until 2.1.

My current wish list includes:

(1) pthread support
(2) explicit, bidirectional connection-reset support in UDP mode
(3) make more directives pushable

Undoubtedly, there are many other wish list items, but I think that we've
actually accomplished quite a bit more than we originally envisioned for
2.0.  The management layer, plugin interface, and support for alternative
authentication mechanisms were all originally thought to be post-2.0
features.

The sorts of changes I would still like to embrace for 2.0 are:

(1) bug fixes obviously, and
(2) low impact, localized changes that significantly improve functionality
of already-developed features.
(3) the management interface is very new, and I want to make sure that it
has all the features that GUI apps will need.  If there anything missing
or wrongly conceptualized in the management interface, I would rather fix
it before 2.0 than make GUIs kludge around it.

So if anyone has any comments on where the 2.0 line should be drawn, or
would like to argue for some feature inclusion in 2.0, this is your
opportunity.

Otherwise, I plan to fork a BETA21 branch in the CVS at the point that
2.0-rc1 is released, so the 2.1 development doesn't necessarily need to
stop while the release candidate series stabilizes.

James