Re: [Openvpn-users] "dynamic iptables" and learn-addr, how???

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] "dynamic iptables" and learn-addr, how???
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:07:57 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Piergiorgio Spagnolatti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, thank you all for this great software. Openvpn amazed me
> from te beginning and still does
> as I keep discovering its capabilities.
>
> And now a couple of questions. This is my current setup:
>
> Openvpn (2.0b15) in "server mode" (multiclient). Authentication is done
> (obviously) with x.509 certificates and configuration
> is pushed to the clients with static routes and so on. All is working
> fine. Now, I'd like to implement a sort of  "dynamic firewall",
> which applies iptables rules on a "per certificate" basis. I am
> implementing this using the useful "--learn-address" switch with openvpn.
> The idea is to get the cn of the certificate, and get the rules to be
> applied from configuration files, or database, or ldap, or whatever, as soon
> as the tunnel is opened and ip/routes/subnets appear..
>
> Now, a couple of questions rise:
>
> 1 - when does the "delete" event raised from openvpn with
> --learn-address occur? I tried launching the openvpn server with a
> simple command
> thate echoes the parameters passed by leard-address, but received mostly
> "add" and "update". Just once I received the "delete" event, and can't
> really reproduce the behaviour. I supposed that closing the connection
> from either peer would produce a "delete" event but it doesn't. I also
> supposed that some sort of timeout comes in after a while (after the
> connection is closed from the client), but no "delete" even after
> several minutes.

The delete event is raised some time after the client-instance object on
the server is deleted.  This is usually a function of the keepalive
parameter.

> 2 - --learn-address invokes my script in case of an "add", "update", or
> "delete" event. In the first two cases (add/update), i receive the
> operation (add or update), the ip/cidr being configured, and the cn of
> the peer's certificate. In the latter case (delete) the cn is missing
> (as stated also from the manpage). I want to apply iptables rules in
> case of new addresses coming in, update 'em as needed
> and delete 'em as soon as possible (actually, when the tunnel is closed).
> If the first two cases are easy to manage, since I have the cn and can
> retrieve the rules to be applied, in case of a "delete" event, I cannot
> figure out
> how to match the existing rules with the ip/subnet being "turned off".
>
> So, if I get from learn addr, for example:
>
> add 10.8.0.6 mycert.mydomain.com ---> ok, read mycert.mydomain.com rules
> and apply 'em to 10.8.0.6
> update 10.8.0.6 mycert.mydomain.com ---> ok, read mycert.mydomain.com
> rules and apply 'em to 10.8.0.6
> delete 10.8.0.6
>
> how could I flush/delete the rules/chains read from
> "mycert.mydomain.com" configuration, since I loose the "ip - common
> name" binding?
>
> An idea could be to create chain names as, for example, 10_8_0_6 in this
> case, and drop the chain according to the ip. Anyway, the whole idea
> behind the cn
> usage should be to manage firewall rules at a higher level  (rules based
> on the user/certificate, not on its dynamic ip).
>
> Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the incredible work :-)

Right now the learn-address delete method is called late, when the address
itself is deleted from the routing table, and after the original common
name is no longer defined.

The reason for this is that OpenVPN doesn't immediately delete virtual
addresses from the routing table when the client instance is deleted.
Instead, it marks it for deletion, and it is deleted later by a sort of
garbage collection routine.

James