Re: [Openvpn-users] Routing/Tun problem Windows 2000 Server

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Routing/Tun problem Windows 2000 Server
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:07:41 -0500

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:43:07 +0100, Jean-Pierre Schwickerath
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I was just thinking could there be a routing problem?
> > Because the VPN Server itself is able to ping over the VPN after the
> > connection restart!!! I have a route: 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 over
> > 192.168.40.1 (the other VPN endpoint).
>
> This is what I keep telling you.
> Show the routes output of "route print" when it's working and when it's
> not working so that we can see the differences.
> What's been puzzling me is that the clients behind your openvpn server
> have no clue about the status of the tunnel and thus should not be
> concerned if the tunnel restarts. On the other side you said that the
> clients suddenly start to send packets to the default gateway  when the
> tunnel has restarted....
> So please show the routes...

Are you running any routing protocols on your OpenVPN server are you?
If you are I bet you are experiencing route flapping.  When a route is
removed or added it takes time for the changes to propogate.  If your
tunnels are constantly being added and removed....

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.