Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: LAN gaming over openVPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: LAN gaming over openVPN
  • From: "Erik Anderson" <erikba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:55:25 -0800

Umm, I think I'm having a problem with the reference to "real" ip's.

A VPN assigns one or both sides of the connection a different IP address for communicating across the VPN, attempting to use their "real" ip address would most likely mean trying to send packets directly to the machine, bypassing the VPN. As you are using internal IP addresses, this fails miserably.

Note that computers can only talk directly to each other under any circumstances when they are on the same IP subnet. The ip addresses you describe are on different subnets.

Without doing analysis of your configuration files (others could do a much better job there), I can say from experience:

When I ran a TAP tunnel (bridged at the server machine), I did not specify an ifconfig line. All my clients got a second ip address (on the same subnet as my server), actually by querying my NetGear cable/dsl router that the server was connected to the internet through.

When I ran a TUN tunnel (not bridged), all machines (server + clients) received a second ip address (in a completely different subnet from any of them), setup through the ifconfig-pool (and related) lines in my configuration.

I'm guessing that LAN gaming depends on being able to discover other machines through broadcast requests, which is where you will have your problems with TUN I believe (i.e. machines are fully accessible to each other but the game doesn't "see" others and has no way for you to manually say where they are by specifying their VPN ip).

----- Original Message ----- From: "Oliver Wittkopf" <oliver.wittkopf@xxxxxxxx>