[Openvpn-users] Re: LAN gaming over openVPN

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: LAN gaming over openVPN
  • From: Oliver Wittkopf <oliver.wittkopf@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:21:08 +0100

until now, im using the tap device for my openvpn network. my problem is, that the clients cant ping each other with their "real" ips. in my opinion, the broadcasts are responsable.
i now read this quote:

Using ethernet bridging is only one possible solution.  If you can get your
client traffic to route at the IP level, then you use OpenVPN in --dev tun
mode to create a tun device linkage, then use route commands to route traffic
over the tun device.  This is somewhat more efficient than using tap devices
and ethernet bridging, but requires that you configure multicast routing.

James

it seams that in my case, the tun device is the better opinion. but an openvpn sample config says something else, i think:

openvpn sample-config # You must use 'tap' # if you are ethernet bridging or want to route # broadcasts. 'tun' is somewhat more efficient # but requires configuration of client software # to not depend on broadcasts.

how could i handle, that i can ping all clients with all possible ips?

Server-Config: (real ip: 192.168.1.2)
------------------
port 5000
mode server