Re: [Openvpn-users] remote-random should be shuffle always

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] remote-random should be shuffle always
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:13:38 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, James Yonan wrote:

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Claas Hilbrecht wrote:

Today I start running OpenVPN 2.0beta18 and tried the --remote-random
option. I added these lines to my openvpn config file:

remote-random
remote hosta.tld
remote hostb.tld
remote hostc.tld

Note that hostb and hostb gives DNS errors (host not found). Now I start
openvpn. OpenVPN selects this time hostb and tries forever to resolve this
nonexisting address. It would be really nice if a resolve that fails cause
openvpn to redo the random "sort" of the host list and maybe pick another
host.

I agree. In fact that's the way it's supposed to work. You should be able to say --resolv-retry 30 and it will try resolving one host for 30 seconds then move on to the next host in the shuffled list.

Hmm, how will this work...?

When you only specify one remote host I usually use --resolv-retry infinite to make OpenVPN stay alive for ever.

If I would specify multiple hosts, I'd like to use --resolv-retry to specify the time each host is tried, but after all hosts are tried, it should start over on the first host again. Is this currently possible?