Re: [Openvpn-users] remote-random should be shuffle always

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] remote-random should be shuffle always
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:57:45 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Claas Hilbrecht wrote:

> Today I start running OpenVPN 2.0beta18 and tried the --remote-random
> option. I added these lines to my openvpn config file:
>
> remote-random
> remote hosta.tld
> remote hostb.tld
> remote hostc.tld
>
> Note that hostb and hostb gives DNS errors (host not found). Now I start
> openvpn. OpenVPN selects this time hostb and tries forever to resolve this
> nonexisting address. It would be really nice if a resolve that fails cause
> openvpn to redo the random "sort" of the host list and maybe pick another
> host.

I agree.  In fact that's the way it's supposed to work.  You should be
able to say --resolv-retry 30 and it will try resolving one host for 30
seconds then move on to the next host in the shuffled list.

However, I just checked this behavior on beta18 and it's not working
correctly -- I will fix for beta19.

James