Re: [Openvpn-users] Potential problems with overlapping networks ?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Potential problems with overlapping networks ?
  • From: Leonard Isham <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:46:17 -0500

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:40:40 -0500, Michael Hale
<michaelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> I have a similar problem and I was wondering if you ever received an
> answer to your question.  I have asked similar questions on the list
> without receiving a single response so I am guessing that either nobody
> here knows how to get this working or it is not possible to get
> overlapping subnets to work together.
>
> - Michael
>
> On Jun 29, 2004, at 1:10 PM, Christian Røsnes wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I'm curious as to whether there are any potential problems with a
> > roadwarrior
> > OpenVPN setup where there are local (private) subnets/addresses on
> > both sides
> > of the tunnel which overlap. (Eg 192.168.0/24 are used on both sides)
> >
> > Q:
> > Has anyone experienced any problemes with a OpenVPN roadwarrior setup
> > and overlapping local (private) subnets ?

Short Answer you are just asking for trouble.  It is best to avoid the
192.168.0.0/24 subnet if you are looking to have road warriors on any
VPN connection.

The best solution is to avoid using this subnet completely.

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.