Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN on embedded device

--Am Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2004 09:29 -0500 Doug Lytle <support@xxxxxxxxxx> schrieb:

*I haven't looked at the beta yet, but plan on it since it includes
OpenVPN.

The fli4l (http://www.fli4l.de) includes OpenVPN within the vpn package. I was able to run a openvpn tunnel at linuxday.at (http://www.linuxday.at) to my home network on a 486-66 MHz notebook with only 8 MB RAM. While booting some swap space was needed (mainly to extract a tar file) but after boot up there was about 1.5 MB of RAM free (from cat /proc/meminfo). So I think OpenVPN will run on very limited hardware too. My main problem is the size of the OpenVPN binary. I use four different binary two allow even low-end hardware to use openvpn. At linuxday.at I use the openvpn.min binary. Below is a list of the binary filesize from OpenVPN 2.0beta18. Each binary is linked staticly to lzo + openssl.

-rwxr-xr-x    1 babel    babel      718220 Dec  1 13:09 openvpn.full
-rwxr-xr-x    1 babel    babel      350508 Dec  1 13:07 openvpn.min
-rwxr-xr-x    1 babel    babel      358700 Dec  1 13:08 openvpn.std
-rwxr-xr-x    1 babel    babel     1032556 Dec  1 13:10 openvpn.tls

The openvpn.tls binary contains everything, nothing is stripped down. The openvpn.std daemon has only DES and BlowFish as ciphers and MD5, RSA and SHA as digists. The openvpn.min binary loses even BlowFish. I wish James will add more switches to disable things at compile time after the 2.0 release. E.g. the --gremlin option could be removed.

--
Claas Hilbrecht
http://www.jucs-kramkiste.de