Re: [Openvpn-users] server not receiving disconnect

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] server not receiving disconnect
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:50:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Matt Wilks wrote:

I've got OpenVPN 2.0b11 running in server mode accepting connections.
Connecting from and XP box running the same version and Mathias' gui
gives me no problems except upon disconnect.  It appears that the server
does not receive a disconnect message when sent from the client, as I am
still getting spew like below into the log file.  Also, there are not
disconnect messages logged in the log.  It doesn't work even if I
side-step the gui and start it directly from a right-click on the conf
file.

This becomes a problem when using the client-connect and
client-disconnect scripts.  client-disconnect isn't called until the
server is restarted and as a result, client-connect is only called the
first time a user logs in.  I have verified that restarting the server
disconnects all users, calling the client-disconnect script for each and
allows new connections to be made again.

Is this a bug in beta 11 that is fixed in later releases?

In UDP mode the client normally does not notify the server when it disconnects. Since beta11 there is an option (--explicit-exit-notify XX) todo this. Set XX to the number of exit-notify packets the client should send. There is no ack on this, that's why you can tell it send several attempts, with a second of delay between each (I think).

If you use TCP the server should realise that a client has disconnected when it recieves a TCP RESET packet, so there you don't need to use any special option.