Re: [Openvpn-users] Can openvpn be used as a non-client (browser as client) ssl vpn?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Can openvpn be used as a non-client (browser as client) ssl vpn?
  • From: Charlie Hosner <chosner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:22:46 -0400 (EDT)

I think this is a bit of a misnomer Yang.  If you aren't using a client,
then you aren't really creating a VPN.  You are doing proxying,
application translation, or maybe (but not likely without a client) port
forwarding, but you are not doing network extension which is really what
VPN's are all about.  None of the commercial SSL VPN's have clientless
network extension either, they just use the "clientless" phrase as a
marketing ploy but when you need to do network extension with their
product, they push out a client to you.

If you don't want to use a client, you will be dramatically limited to
what corporate resources can be accesses, and you'll have pretty
limited security.  But if that fits your needs, you'll want an SSL
gateway, which OpenVPN is not.  It's a true VPN.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie