Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn 2x and fedora 2

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn 2x and fedora 2
  • From: "Adam Pavelec" <apavelec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:02:06 -0400

On Thursday, July 15, 2004 2:20 PM [GMT-5=EST], ronnie escobedo
<tenminuteslater@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the link Raymond.
>
> http://www.wintunnel.com/OpenVPN.html
>

> It made installing openvpn easier. I still experienced some minor
> issues. Also the script for downloading openvpn returned a 404 error.
> It wasn't a big deal I just did a manual download and placed in the
> appropriate directory.

[SNIP]

> - When using ifconfig to configure a static ip or ifconfig pool to
> assign an ip is there any way to capture the connecting pc's hostname?
> - Is it possible to set the log to a max size?
> - I have change the permission to /dev/net/tun to 777 but what should
> it really be?

I pretty much followed the HOWTO down to a T.  After I realized that not
having the Development Tools installed prior to following the guide was
going to be a major hinderance, I reorganized my FC2 install, and everything
went perfectly.  If you're interested in commenting about your experiences
following Ray's guide, I have created a wiki for it at
<http://www.pavelec.net/adam/openvpn/>.  Not sure when you went through it,
but the guide has been revised a few times in the past week.

As for your Q:'s, I'm not sure about the hostname being captured or about
defining the log's maximum size; but as far as /dev/net/tun goes:

[root@OpenVPN root]# ls -al /dev/net/tun*
crw-------  1 root root 10, 200 Feb 23 16:02 /dev/net/tun

And a huge thanks goes to Ray for creating such a great guide.

HTH,
Adam