Re: Replying, WAS: Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows installation package with GUI included

  • Subject: Re: Replying, WAS: Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows installation package with GUI included
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:24:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Paul wrote:

Dick St.Peters wrote:

Why this urge lately to reply to the whole group?

For years, most mailing lists - at least, most that I was on - had an
explicit policy that responses should NOT go to the list: discussions
should be taken offline and summarized to the list if anything came of
them.  The mailing list was for questions and summaries, not flooding
people's mailboxes with chatter.

I thought that the purpose of a mailing list was to have public interaction so that everyone could benefit and enjoy it. Replying privately could be thought of as whispering privately in response to a public conversation, which I would consider rude and suspicious. I have personally benefited from scanning messages that were not of current interest to me. And sometimes the process of working through something is as important, if not more important, than the solution itself.

I compleatly agree with Paul. I did not join this list just so I could ask a question. I joined it because I think it's interesting reading about others problems and solutions. Ofcource if one question leads to a long discussion or gets off-topic one should think about taking it off-list.

I think it's diffrent for diffrent lists. A broad list like Bugtraq which covers almost all products should try to keep discussions on-list to a minimum as most other readers are probably not interested in reading a discussion about a problem with a product they don't have.

This list on the other hand covers only one software, so most people on this list should find use in the discussions going on here. Ofcource I don't find interest in all threds here either, but I don't think those discussions should be taken off-list anyway. Someday I might have the same problem and then the mail-list archive will be very useful.